Friday, August 22, 2008

Day Two-On the road through ND and Montana with a stay in Helena

The second day of our trip I woke up at a decent time, despite our late arrival in Dickinson. I tried running to get my blood flowing for the day and quickly realized that my body thinks I'm crazy so I went for a nice walk and saw a fox in the yard. How cool is that? I got ready and got Chad out of bed and we were on our way by 8:30 am MST.

I drove so we stopped at the Painted Canyon rest area which gives you a glimpse of Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park and then took a quick drive through Medora, ND where I spent two summers in high school working at a cafe. Chad has never been here and I thought he'd like to see where I hung out when I was younger.



We were on the open road again and the wind was blowing I would guess 35-50 miles an hour right at our car. Let's just say we didn't get great gas mileage on this day. We have our first trip mishap in Forsyth, MT by locking our keys in the car where we stopped for gas, at the gas pump. Lucky for us we begin to remember how nice and helpful people can be once you leave the city as the gas station attendant called the local locksmith for us. He was there in less than 20 minutes and charged us $10; we were pleasantly surprised and can't stop talking about it and telling everyone.

I got back on the road and drove us all the way to Bozeman where we stopped for gas and Chad began to drive us to Helena to visit Adam and Mara and their son Ross. We got there in good time and Chad made them Lime Halibut as a treat for letting us spend the night, Mara makes great cheesy potatoes and treats us to Huckleberry ice cream. (we soon learn that huckleberries are huge out west in the mountains) We have a great time with their son and catching up on all we've missed since they moved from Fargo, ND. We had a late night with some wine and beer and then it's off to bed around 2:30 am.

No comments: